We are now on YouTube! You can watch the video on our channel here:
SEASON 2, EPISODE 11
In this episode, we turn our focus to PRIDE and the nationwide celebration of LGBTQIA2S+ humans who deserve the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness just like everyone else.
We are all image bearers.
Today, I am honored to share my interview with Katie Cox, the new Executive Director of The Equi Institute, a nonprofit located in Portland, Oregon. The Equi Institute exists to enrich the lives of marginalized humans with trauma-informed and culturally affirming care with a little social justice advocacy for good measure.
In this interview, Katie and I will discuss the total metamorphosis of her organization over the past few years.
She will share the interesting story of how a car accident led to her landing a job as the Billing Specialist for the medical doctor who eventually founded The Equi Institute and how her role in the organization evolved during what I’m calling their “caterpillar days.”
Unfortunately, the organization was experiencing financial difficulties about the time Covid-19 was declared a pandemic. They pivoted as much as they could but eventually had to pause programs and go into a “cocoon” state, not sure if they’d ever get out of it.
But here we are in the summer of 2021, and The Equi Institute has emerged as a strong, beautiful, financially stable butterfly ready to take flight.
🎧 Click here to listen to this episode:
About Katie Cox
Katie Cox (she/her) has been working in social justice for the last 6 years with a focus on trans and queer healthcare access. Katie joined The Equi Institute in 2016 as a part-time billing specialist and became the Executive Director in October 2020. Along with her deep passion for social change Katie brings organizational development, communications, grant writing and culture building skills to her work at Equi.
In 2019, Katie graduated from the Willamette Valley Development Officers Executive Leadership Academy. She considers herself a lifelong learner and is constantly working to expand her knowledge and understanding. She brings her own personal values of trauma-informed care, anti-racism, self-care, health-at-every-size, community care, disability justice, and intersectional feminism to her work.
Katie lives in Portland, Oregon with her roommate, her partner Mary, and her sheepadoodle/pyrenees mix Penny. In her spare-time, she loves to go camping with her pup in various national forests and cook delicious vegetarian meals for her household.
🔗 The Equi Institute:
- Website: https://www.equi-institute.org/
- Donate: https://equi-institute.networkforgood.com/projects/120764-support-equi
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/equiinstitute
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/katiecox85
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/equiinstitute/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/katie-cox-b92326176/
- You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNmxA15kBpIL_u5V_P6NAH
🙌 Connect with Katie Cox:
Equi Institute, Inc.
Email: [email protected]
🔗 Mentioned in This Episode:
- Gay-Straight Alliance Network: https://gsanetwork.org/
- GLSEN: https://www.glsen.org/
- Pride Northwest: https://www.pridenw.org/
- The Q Center: https://www.pdxqcenter.org/
- C3PO: https://www.facebook.com/C3PO-Villages-113676473815069/
- R2D2: http://right2dreamtoo.blogspot.com/